Thursday, November 20, 2008

Week 13 Picks

It's time...for the big one. Tech and OU are playing for all the marbles here, well, at least some of the marbles for a few weeks. Also some amusing rivalry games this weekend help make this week far better than last week's mediocre slate. Let's enter the thunderdome shall we?

Record to date:
ATS:32-29-1
SU:43-19

Syracuse @ ND (-20)
Pick: ND Cover
I can only rationalize picking against the Irish once a year, I'll give you a guess as to when I will be using that. This line worries me for a few reasons. The Irish offense has had several stagnant periods over the last few weeks and is missing one of its best (and my favorite) weapons in Michael Floyd. Cuse is also playing with nothing to lose. This is a horrible team playing for a lame duck coach, which scares me a lil bit. If I'm Greg Robinson, why not have some fun. Double WR reverse pass? Sure. Statute of Liberty? Why not? You also know that the Irish will be looking past to USC next week. However, it is Senior week, and Cuse really is that bad. Clausen should be itching to throw after last week when he was effectively kept in the holster. Irish by 28.

#2 Texas Tech @ #5 Oklahoma (-7)
Pick: Tech Cover, OU Win.
The 7 point spread is perfect by the odds overlords. I have been saying for weeks I thought this was the game where Tech would fall, so I can't go back on it now. But OU is not coming in full strength, missing some starters on D. I think this will be a shootout, and I think Tech will keep it within a score...I just don't think it will be enough for them to keep the dream alive. So long as Bob Stoops realizes that #5 is sent from the future to do nothing but score touchdowns so he needs to COVER CRABTREE!!

Michigan @ Ohio St (-21)
Pick: OSU cover
Oh lawdy. Michigan is horrible this year. Like, ND last year horrible. Put them in the Horseshoe against an angry OSU team remembering what they thought they could be this year....yikes. This will be a beatdown ala Woody Hayes "cause they wouldn't let me go for 3."

#14 BYU @ #7 Utah (-7)
Pick: BYU Win
This is a pure spite pick. All of these fake teams need to be destroyed. The Mormons have their loss, now they must win the Holy war to destroy Utah. Utah, Ball St, Boise...all of you fake teams need to lose now so I dont have to see you in the BCS. You do not belong. End rant

#20 Pitt @ #19 Cincinatti (-5)
Pick: Pitt Win
A Big East battle w/ some BCS implications. I can't believe I'm going with the Wannestache here, but Pitt is having a solid year. I dont see Cinci being able to shut down McCoy so I'm gonna go with the Panthers. Even if they lose, they will certainly cover.

There you have it kids. Do that which must be done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) ND cover - I'm nervous about the spread for the same reasons that you are but...Cuse really is that bad

2) TT wins - I don't want the Big XII title game being decided by BCS ranking...plus, how can I pick against the dread pirate

3) tOSU wins, UM Cover - Just don't think Ohio St.'s offense is good enough, Michigan sucks but will play up for this game.

4) Utah covers - they're just better, and Mormons never scare me

5) Cincy wins, Pitt covers - Cincy and their plethora of QBs will confuse the Wannstache...as long as they don't let Demetrius "Busta" Jones touch the football

Matt Rigney said...

1. Syracuse cover

2. Tech win.

3. Oh man... Which perennial disappointment to pick. I think i will take the OSU cover.

4. Utah cover. I hope the make a BCS game and get destroyed by 50 to mediocre Ohio State or something. You can go ahead and take my Utah BSC bowl pick now: The other team to cover.

5. I know nothing about these teams except Dave Wandstat coaches one of them. But Cincinnati, really? Any school named after a city is 99% of the time horrible. I'll just lay the points, who cares. Cincinnati covers.

Unknown said...

1) 'Cuse covers, ND wins. Too many points

2) It pains me to say it, but OU covers and then jumps Texas in the BCS standings. Tech is still overrated.

3) Ohio State covers.

4) BYU wins. Ball State is legit, howeva.

5) I'll take the points, Pitt covers.

David Lawrence said...

1. ND cover, can't back out now.

2. Tech wins.

3. Ohio State wins, DickRod covers.

4. Utah wins, BYU covers.

5. Pitt wins.