Wow...week 12 really? The season has flown by quite quickly. Sadly this weekend doesn't exactly provide a very interesting slate. This weekend should allow teams to lay some beatdowns in order to try and prove their point to the pollsters and boost their case. A loss will obviously destroy any contender but even a close game due to a poor showing could lose teams valuable votes in a year that will likely come down to very close margins. So teams definitely need to be able to maintain a high level of focus, and most importantly, the killer instinct that has gotten them where they are now. So in that same vein (and to redeem last week's brutal showing), let's win some games shall we
Record to date:
ATS:29-27-1
SU:38-19
ND (-4) "@" Navy
Pick: ND Cover
This line is absolutely infuriating to me. Based on talent alone ND should be a 10 point favorite, however the last few weeks, especially the abortion that was the BC game, have shown ND still has a looooong way to go to get to where they should be. Allegedly Clausen was suffering from "flu like symptoms" last week...im sure he was. Another issue is his ankle is a little dinged up. This still doesn't excuse his brutal performance last week. The offense MUST step up after last week's goose egg. CW is back at the helm of the playcalling this week, which seems like a reasonable step. Like i said in my last post, Charlie better recognize that these next two games are indeed must win games. This is not the same Navy team as last year. They are very inexperienced, have suffered several injuries, and are under a 1st year head coach. The Irish SHOULD win this game by 3 scores...time will tell if they decide to show up or not.
# 3 Texas (-13.5) @ Kansas
Pick: Texas cover
This line looks so tasty I'm sure Mangino will eat it before the game. Texas is a good, angry team that is in a fight for their life to stay in the national title hunt. Aside from scoreboard watching, they need to put up as many points as possible to convince the pollsters that A: they deserve a shot should Tech or Bama fall and that B: they deserve it more than OU or Florida. The major negative for Texas right now is that OU gets a shot at #1 and Florida gets a shot at #2, both excellent springboard games that could vault either over the Horns. Expect Texas to come out guns blazing against a highly flammable Kansas D.
#25 S. Carolina @ #4 Florida (-23)
Pick: SCAR cover UF win
The only game on the slate between ranked teams for us this week could prove to be more interesting that many will think. I know I should shut up after UF curbstomped Georgia...I'm just still not sold, I dont know why, but I'm not. Combine my irrational mindset with the Old Ball Coach (yah click clack) coming back to the school he did so much for, I think we could have some fun. Spurrier has had a tendency w/ the Gamecocks to win games he shouldn't and lose games he should win. I dont think he has the talent to pull the upset (altho Austinites sure would love him for it) I could see this game being a lil close. I'm thinking Gators by 14ish here.
#6 USC (-23.5) @ Stanford
Pick: SC cover
So remember how last week I said Pete was angry and expect USC to make a statement? Well, they were looking past Cal to their REAL statement game this week. Some have argued, quite plausibly, that last year's upset by Stanford over #1 USC, at USC, was the greatest upset of all time. Hard to believe in the same year as App St over Michigan, but that USC team was much better than that Michigan team, and when you take into account what was at stake, you have a fair argument. While we know Harbaugh bows to no man, he doesn't get to suit up even tho he probably would love to. Expect SC to come out and win in violent fashion.
Boston College @ #19 Florida St (-7)
Pick: BC WIN
Like I said, the slate wasn't great, and this looked like the most important game left on the board (sorry UGA-Auburn, you were next on my list). In a game that could have BCS implications as FSU is currently tied with Wake for their ACC division lead. I'm picking BC here for a few reasons, 1) I want to feel better about myself and last week's loss 2) I don't like FSU 3) There are reports on the web of a huge brawl involving many FSU players attacking a fraternity, while details are limited (the stories on Deadspin and EDSBS both sound quite different, so who knows) it is hard to say what the impact will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if some players missed time for it 4) the ACC's committment to mediocrity will, I think, predicate FSU dropping to an overall tie with Wake.
So there is your slate. Admittedly this weekend isn't a bad time to do all those things you have put off on Saturdays due to football. However, you shouldn't skip making picks. The scoreboard up yonder will show you where you stand if you've been playing along. If you haven't been, feel free to join, you can join the board too, and it will be good practice for the bowl spectacular shindig that will be happening soon enough. So go get em kids.
Also, a random NBA aside. I've told many of you about the Basketball Jones podcast (now in video form). Most people I know inexplicably don't follow the NBA, but if you do, gives these guys a look. It's a hilarious look that comes every weekday and they give great info. If you do go, be sure to vote in their contest for me, so I can get a video game. Probably too late, but hey, the others are shamelessly doing something, figure I should join the bandwagon. Either way, if you don't go for me, you should still check these guys out, makes the NBA sesaon that much more fun. www.thebasketballjones.net
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
1. ND Cover. This game has the potential to break my soul and spirit, as well as the rest of Notre Dame Nation. We need a win big, and we also need to win big. So Notre Dame wins this game...please.
2. Kansas cover, UT wins. I think there will be too much score-board watching here, plus I think Kansas is a semi-decent football team.
3. USC cover, Florida wins. I would love for the ole' ball coach to pull this game out, but it won't happen. Maybe Florida will lose to FSU...
4. Stanford cover, Southern Cal wins. Trojans are overrated. Trees are a tough team who I think will have some success running on the condoms. Plus, Brian Cushing called out the offense this week, i don't know what effect that will have, but I think this game will be closer than it should be. in fact, i feel like they will continue to win games under the spread to lull us into a false sense of security, and then destroy us Thanksgiving weekend.
5. FSU win. While i want to agree with Eddie, i don't think BC is that good. They had 249 offensive yards against us. Taking away the pick-six, BC scored 10 points against us, despite starting in ND territory 5 times. As nice as it would be to roll off 3 straight victories and get a nice gator bowl victory, and say "our 4 losses were to the big 10, big east, and ACC champ as well as the runner up", it isn't going to happen. No, I haven't thought about that...
1. ND cover
2. Kansas cover
3. SC cover
4. Stanford cover
5. FSU cover
1) ND Cover
2) Texas Cover, Kansas is overrated
3) Florida Win, SC Cover - Spurrier will keep this close enough
4) USC Cover...Stanford's just not good
5) FSU Cover...Even though we got stomped last week, I still don't think BC's any good
1. ND cover. Starting back at 1. By the time I'm 67, we'll be exactly where we were when I was 23.
2. Texas cover. This isn't basketball, is it?
3. S. Car cover, UF win. It's in the Swamp.
4. Stanford cover, SC win. Stanford has the recipe to Oregon State the Trojans. It'll be closer than it should be, but SC will take it.
5. BC cover, FSU win. BC isn't good. We were worse last week.
ND cover
Texas Cover
SC cover, Florida straight up
USC cover
BC win SU
1) ND cover
2) Texas covers
3) SCAR covers, FU wins
4) Stanford covers, SC wins
5) FSU covers, sorry bro
Post a Comment