Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 5 picks

Already week 5? Yikes...College football is moving right along. Hopefully your respective team is fulfilling all your wishes and dreams, but odds are they aren't as that's just how it goes. We've had some barnburners so far this year and this weekend has a couple of matchups that could prove to be good ones. Game on:

Purdue @ ND (pick'em)
Pick: ND win. Both teams are coming in at 2-1, ND coming off an ugly, tho not unexpected, loss to MSU. Purdue's only loss this year was an OT loss to Oregon, however the Boilermakers are yet to leave their home field. Curtis Painter was called a darkhorse candidate for the Heisman this year by many experts, but so far has only thrown 3TD's along with 3 picks (compared to JC's 6-6 effort). However, Purdue is putting up 33 pts a game, but two of those were against N. Colorado and C Michigan. Look for the Irish, who have been good on Pass D this year to shut Painter down and finally get a running game going against a team giving up nearly 200 yards a game (192.33). Also, in completely useless info, Jimmy finally shaved that retarded haircut which can only help his check-downs.

#8 Alabama @ #3 Georgia (-7)
Pick: Georgia cover. This game scares me, I think Georgia wins, but by somewhere around 6-10. Clearly Vegas is inside of my sould as always and wants to prey upon my fear and doubt. What helped push me over the edge though is the insistence of Alabama's Asst. Coaches to give the Bulldogs some bulletin board material. See this video at around 1 minute in (Thanks EDSBS):

Hilarious, but probably unwise. Mark Richt already made a hilarious reference to it so I'm sure that the entire locker room is aware of what was said and will be sufficiently fired up. That and I'm scared to ever bet against Knowshon Moreno as the only thing matching my fear of him is my complete awe of his greatness.

#22 Illinois @ #12 Penn St. (-15)
Pick: Illinois Cover, PSU win. Illinois puts up too many points to lose by 15 IMO. I also cant trust a football team that employs the NCAA's highest paid mascot to cover 15 when the best team they've beaten this year is a toss up Syracuse, Oregon St, and Temple. Illinois took a good Missouri team to the limit in a 52-42 shootout and Juice Williams has been less...well..Juice Williams'y with the turnovers and is turning into a pretty solid QB. That all told, PSU plays real tough at home and has a solid D, I see them winning by 7.

#24 TCU @ #2 Oklahoma (-19)
Pick: OU cover. The last of the top 25 matchups for this week. However, the fact that TCU has a number before there name doesn't make me think they can stop the Sooners from dropping a half hundred on them. OU is stupid good this year while TCU is...well...I mean, they did blow out the Ponies... Blowout coming

#9 Wisconsin (-6.5) @ Michigan
Pick: Wisco covers easy. If I had one of those rock solid cant lose lead pipe lock of the week things, this game would be it. Michigan is horrible...Wisco is good...and the line is under a TD?? Michigan gives games away in as demoralizing a fashion as a team not named Washington can think up. Meanwhile, Wisco might actually be the best team in the Big TenLeven. I'm thinking Wisco by around 17 here, bet the house.

So those are the picks for this week. As always feel free to join along in the comments, make picks, call me names, suggest games I should've done, etc. Please continue to make it clear who you are picking both straight up and against the spread for scoreboard purposes. I'm glad some of yall seem to be enjoying this, if you haven't started yet, feel free to join in now. Enjoy the football this weekend kids, I'll be making my last trip to ND this weekend in a poor effort to recapture my glory days. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD night now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My picks

ND - No explanation necessary

Georgia - I don't trust John Parker Wilson and Knowshon's a Jersey boy

PSU to win, Ill to cover - I think PSU's a fraud...that being said, I also think Illinois is a fraudulent along with the entirety of the Big 10

OU to win, TCU to cover - Big spread to cover against a pretty good TCU team, TCU scores some junk points late to lose by 17

Michigan to win - No idea why since all logic and reason points to an easy Wisco win but I just get a strange feeling that Michigan pulls this one out at home. The Wolverines' run defense is good and I don't ever, ever, ever trust Wisconsin to do anything through the air (or play offense at all for that matter in either football or basketball).

Matt Rigney said...

1. ND
2. Nick Saban roll tide. 'Bama wins.
3. Fighting IIlliinii to cover.
4. Sooners cover.
5. Fuck 'em Bucky. Wisconsin covers.

TB said...

Purdue wins. Unless Charlie has got some of his goons at the boilermakers' practice figuring out what their defensive signals are, I don't trust his play calling.

Bama and the points, UGA straight up.
Maybe not my best pick of the week, but 7 points is a lot for any SEC game.

Illinois Cover, PSU win. No particular reason as I don't really follow the Big 10

TCU cover, OU win. OU will probably go up 14 in the first quarter and then let TCU back into it.

Wisconsin Covers

OH, and assuming they show up, my Horns will cover. Hopefully Mac will remind them of '03, but really I just can't stand Arkansas or their fans for that matter. Kick them while they're down, please.

Unknown said...

Notre Dame on the haircut alone.

Georgia to cover. Blackout will work to perfection.

Illinois to WIN. Fuck JoePa, upset special, baby.

OU to cover. They scare me.

Wisco to cover by a factor of eighty-five.

David Lawrence said...

ND to win.

Georgia to win, Bama to cover. I actually see this game being a push, but whatever.

Illinois covers, Penn State wins.

I'm inclined to make the ballsy pick of TCU over OU, especially since the Horned Frogs dismantled the mighty Mustangs, but I'll have to settle with TCU cover, OU win.

Wisconsin covers. Hopefully Michigan used the bye week to get shittier. Fuck Michigan.

Oh, and I'm retroactively calling the Oregon State game, just so I can laugh about USC losing to them. Again.