Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 3 picks

Hey Kids,
Well, this is the big week everyone pointed to during the summer. Obviously the big game is OSU USC, but compared to last week there is actually a pretty solid slate of games out there. Let's play the game shall we, as always i'm using centsports.com's lines.

Record to Date:
ATS: 6-7
SU: 8-5

Michigan (-2.5) @ Notre Dame
Pick: ND to win. Come on, what'd you expect? Here's the thing, I really do think ND was sandbagging a bit. The D was as vanilla as you could get, we all know Tenuta has 87 different blitz packages drawn up for this game. James Aldridge, one of the few consistent players from last year never even touched the ball last week. That, and my boy Michael Floyd only saw the ball a few times but was WIDE open on several occasions. We haven't even gotten to the fact that Michigan is trying a new spread offense w/o the necessary players to run said offense. Expect a much different, and better Irish team this weekend. (I hope...)

OSU @ USC (-11)
Pick: OSU cover, USC win. For some reason the closer we get to this game the more people are calling for a blowout. Sure, USC beat the hell out of UVA, but UVA then barely beat the mighty Spiders of Richmond. Yes OSU barely beat Ohio, but that was w/o Beanie Wells and clearly showed the Buckeyes were looking past their opponents. Yes I think USC has more talent, hell, they have 6 freaking running backs that would start anywhere in the country except maybe UGA and OSU, but the talent on OSU's D and ability of Wells will keep this game close I think. Plus, the Sweatervests only get blown out in big time games when playing SEC schools, not Pac 10.

Kansas @ South Florida (-3.5)
Pick: USF cover. This game is an interesting one. Kansas is trying to prove they werent just a fluke last year and USF has a chance to become the tallest midget in the God awful Big East this year. I think USF covers here, I really don't think Kansas will be on anybody's mind after a few actual games.

UCLA @ BYU (-8)
Pick: Mystery upset me, UCLA to win. I dont trust the Mormons, A: Mormons scare me in general B: Steve Young isn't there anymore. These little Utah schools popping up every few years are beginning to annoy me. UCLA's D stepped up against a highly touted Tennessee ground attack and for as bad as Craft was in the 1st half, he sure looked comfortable in the 2nd. Plus, BYU needed a ridiculous penalty call and blocked XP to avoid messing up the Radio farewell tour. (Sidenote: As much as I hate Tyrone, I feel really bad for Locker on that play. Dude just ran an awesome drive and probably has spent every moment since that flag flew blaming himself for that loss. Bad call)

SMU @ Texas Tech (-36.5)
Pick: SMU cover, Tech win. I'd love to see what the over under for this game is, anything below 85 I take the over w/o hesitation. There will be a LOT of points put up in this game. I think Tech wins by around 28-31. Their D gives up far too many points and they haven't really felt like embarrassing teams so far this year.

Well there you have it kids. As always play along in the comments, you can see the standing so far on the scoreboard over at the top-right of the site. Please do me a favor and spell out the picks, I know, I'm lazy, but it gets confusing switching between several different windows to see who picked with who and whether they meant the spread or just the win. Thanks kids, Go Irish!

4 comments:

Matt Rigney said...

1. Michigan to win. Sorry, Eddie. Take solace in the fact that 80 percent of this pick is because of our bet. I need you guys to start dropping games.

2. USC to cover.

3. Kansas wins. Big 12 > Big East.

4. UCLA to win.

5. Tech to cover. Usually I don't have the 36-point favorite to cover, but after seeing SMU get blown out by Rice, I think SMU has no chance. Tech takes SMU to the glue factory.

Anonymous said...

1) ND - clearly

2) SC to win and cover, doubtful Beanie Wells = no Buckeye offense

3) Kansas to win - Reesing and co. are much more of a threat than the UCF team that took the Bulls to OT last week

4) BYU to win, UCLA to cover - Mormons find a way to get it done in a lower scoring game than they want to play against a tough UCLA defense. BYU finds a way to win to keep on track for a potential BCS-buster final game of the season against Utah (if ECU drops one somewhere along the way)

5) Tech to win, SMU to cover - 36.5 is just too much, its really that 1.5 over the 5th TD that does it for me...Tech by 28-35 but not enough to cover.

David Lawrence said...

1. ND to win.

2. USC to cover.

3. Kansas wins.

4. UCLA wins.

5. Tech wins, SMU Covers.

Unknown said...

I'm late to the game, so I'll let my wagers do the talking. If this is deemed bullshit, I understand.

1. ND to win.

2. USC to cover.

3. Kansas to win (I should've bet to cover, goddammit)

4. UCLA to cover, BYU to win

5. Tech to cover (this isn't an actual wager, the rest were)