Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 8 picks

Well after last week's curbstomp we all took let's see if we cant turn it around. There are a few good games on the slate and to change things up I'm gonna throw a few gratuitously large spreads in there just because they amuse me. Game on:

Results thus far:
ATS:20-17-1
SU:24-14

#11 Missouri @ #1 Texas (-6)
Pick: Texas Cover.
Texas had a hell of a game against OU last week, but this scares me a little bit because they let OU have SOOOO many yards through the air. However, to balance that out Will Muschamp got a nice little script from Okie St on how to get pressure on Chase Daniel by only using stunts on the D Line. Texas has a VERY good d line so expect Daniel's jersey to be pretty dirty by the final cannon shot. Not only that but if UT was able to put up 45 against OU's D, think of what they will do against the much more sieve like Tiger D.

#16 Kansas @ #4 Oklahoma (-21)
Pick: OU cover.
It seems bizarre to see a top 20 team getting 21 points, it feels even more bizarre picking that spread to be covered. To tell you the truth tho, I dont think this spread is high enough. Kansas is soft this year and has yet to play any real teams. Meanwhile you have a vindictive Stoops coming off a demoralizing loss hungry for the blood of his enemies. This is going to be violent.

#12 Ohio St (-4) @ #20 Michigan St
Pick: MSU WIN
So do I bank on OSU's inconsistency and vulnerability this year or the consistent ability of MSU to fail on a big stage. With John L Smith out of the equation and Javon Ringer prominently in it, I'm thinking the Spartans take down the Buckeyes. While Pryor has shown flashes, the OSU incredible inability to score from the red zone along with Javon Ringer's penchant for running roughshod over opponents makes me go upset.

#7 Texas Tech (-21) @ Texas A&M
Pick: Tech cover
This game intrigues me. First off, these 2 teams hate each other...I mean absolutely hate each other. One of the craziest things i've ever seen in a football game came from the battle in Lubbock a few years back where fans used the goalpost as a battering ram. Animosity combined with playing in Kyle field, which even in a down year is an imposing building, makes me think I should take the points. The thing is tho...A&M is HORRIBLE this year, I mean abysmal. Combine that with Tech needing to prove their mettle after last week's near choke job to Nebraska I'm thinking the Harrel-Crabtree Air Escapades 2k8 will be back in full form.

#22 Vanderbilt @ #10 Georgia (-14.5)
Pick: Georgia cover
Freaking Vandy...I wait, I doubt, I kept betting against them and they kept winning. So last week I finally decide to believe in them and bet on the Dores and what do they do? Lose to Sylvester freaking Croom and Miss St. Well that's it, fool me once shame on you... This game will come down to 2 simple things: Knowshon Moreno is reaching McFadden status of alien cyborg from the future and Vandy is Vandy. Expect the slide to start right about now

Go get em kids

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Texas cover...shootout but UTs defense gets more stops than Mizzou's

2) Oklahoma cover...pissed off Sooners against an overrated group of Jayhawks

3) Ohio St. cover...just cannot ever take Sparty in a mid-to-late season big game, plus Ringer has to break down eventually with the absurd number of carries he's getting

4) TTU to cover...A&M just sucks...period

5) Georgia win, Vandy cover...don't think Vandy's good enough to really challenge but their defense is strong enough to keep the margin under 14.

Matt Rigney said...

1. Mizzou wins. This is not because of my personal policy re picking Texas to win. I really think this will happen.

2. OU cover. I agree, Eddie. I think OU wins by 4 TDs at least.

3. MSU cover. This is tough. I will make a specific prediction and say OSU wins by a FG.

4. This game makes baby Matt cry. My head says Tech will win by 7 (touchdowns, that is), but because I am as big a homer as you, I will pick the Aggies to WIN. If Tech does win, I just hope they try to tear down the goalposts at Kyle Field. People will be literally stabbed with swords. I'm not even kidding.

5. Georgia covers. I know nothing about Vandy except that like three of our friends went there.

Unknown said...

1) Before the Okie State game, I shared Matt's belief. Now, I'm not impressed. Chubbs Daniels is not mentally tough and once he gets knocked down eight or nine times, he gets pouty, yells at his line, and throws picks. Texas to cover.

2) OU covers in what is perhaps the angriest game of all time.

3) Ohio State covers. I don't think Sweater loses to MSU. I hate both teams, Ohio State more, but the Spartans have been erratic at best lately.

4) Tech by a lot. Enough to cover.

5) I'm with Sligo. Georgia wins, but Vandy keeps it close. Mysteriously, they're down by more than the cover at half and claw their way back to within 9.

My word verification tonight is "pojeo".

David Lawrence said...

1. UT cover

2. OU cover

3. Michigan State cover

4. Tech cover

5. Vandy cover, Georgia win