Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Week 5 College Football pick recap

Well, I stay in the red, but I did it knowingly on two games. Hopefully you all took my advice and stayed away from my picks. Let's get to it:
#4 LSU @ #18 Georgia (-3)
Pick: LSU +3
Result: 20-13 LSU: W
This was a ugly, terrible, sloppy game for about 3.5 quarters. The end however was fannnnntastic. There are a couple of things that really jumped out in this game. 1st AJ Green is pretty much an alien cyborg from the future. Coming off a performance when he had huge catches and a rowdy FG block, AJ continued to get the job done with this amazing catch for a TD when UGA needed it most, putting the Bulldogs on top with 1:09 left.

This video brings me to my 2nd point. STOP CALLING BULLSHIT EXCESSIVE CELEBRATION PENALTIES. I'll fully admit that I love celebrations post TD. Guys like Ochocinco just make me happy. It is hard to score a TD, why not let them celebrate. Sure, you can easily go too far, and I understand why the rule is there. But what in that video deserved a 15 yard flag?!?? The SEC has since issued a mea culpa admitting that the flag shouldn't have been thrown, but it was. If a guy scores a huge TD like that to put his team in a position to upset a top 5 rival with just over a minute left in the game, he should be given some leeway. Especially when he didn't do anything!!

All that being said, that flag isn't why UGA lost. It was a terrible call and certainly hurt, but it didn't allow the big KR, and it certainly didn't miss all of these tackles:

S-E-C speed.

#7 USC (-5) @ #24 Cal
Pick: Cal +5
Result: 30-3 USC: L
Well, the Tedford collapse is officially on. This one was just a boat race from the get go. SC pretty much dominated this game from the opening whistle. Not only did they effectively move the ball, they held Javhid Best to a mere 47 yards, while Joe McKnight had a stellar 2 TD, 117 yd performance. Just a beatdown.

#8 Oklahoma (-7.5) @ #17 Miami
Pick: Miami +7.5
Result 21-20 Miami: W
Jacory Harris works when it isn't raining. While OU started this game with a pair of interceptions and a QUICK TD drive, Miami took over in the 2nd half with Harris following his early 2 picks with 3 TDs. Reports are that Bradford will try to start this Saturday to get a game under his belt before the annual showdown with Texas. The mustachioed one has played admirably in his stead, as Jones was in "game manager" mode, throwing for 188 yds and a TD on 18 of 30 passing. Not great, but not losing the game either.

#22 Michigan @ Michigan St (-3)
Pick: Mich +3
Result: 26-20 MSU (OT): L
I'm just going to quote myself from the pick page:
"I really don't get this line at all. Clearly this means MSU will win by 10 and you will all lose if you go with me, but I don't care. I know I'm walking into a trap and I'm doing it while whistling Dixie. This looks like a freaking blank check to me."

That's me, just hanging out under the red cage watching the game, not a care in the world...Stupid trap game.

Washington @ Notre Dame (-13)
Pick: ND -13
Result: 37-30 ND (OT): L
This game was so infuriating to watch. The inability of the Irish offense to score once the got in the red zone was absolutely pathetic. 30 points (in regulation) seems like a nice day...but when you have 500 FREAKING YARDS OF OFFENSE IN REGULATION HOW DO YOU NOT SCORE MORE TDS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Clausen showed that there were no real lingering issues with his toe, coming out with a career day throwing for 422 yards on 23 of 31 passing, w/ 2TDs and a INT courtesy of a ball that went right through the hands of Armando Allen. Golden Tate continued to step up in the Post-Cannon era, torching UW for 244 yards, including a couple of LONG dominant catches

Golden just refuses to let the offense die if he can help it. Also, he can fly apparently:

Dude can do it all. I will fully admit to being terrified until he got up. The thought of an offense sans Floyd and Tate is not a world I want to live in. The craziest part of this game though was the double goalline stand by the Irish thanks to a roughing the snapper call after the 1st half of the stand on a FG attempt (I know, what?). I'll let the vid tell the story, a bit long, but way manly:

The takeaway is a win is a win. ND needs to step up their secondary play and RZ offense if they expect to put up a fight against USC in 2 weeks.

Result this week: 2-3
Result to date: 9-16 (.360)
Well, the winning % went up. When it goes up after a 2-3 week, you know you are bad. How'd you kids do?

Ryan:
Results this week: 2-3
Results to date: 8-17(.320)

Johnny Chan:
Results this week:2-3
Results to date: 7-18 (.280)

Kristin:
Results this week: 2-3 (yayyyyy you did it)
Results to date:2-14 (.125)

Judson:
Results this week: 4-1
Results to date:14-11 (.560)

Travis:
Results this week:3-2
Results to date:4-11 (.267)

Daniel:
Results this week: 3-2
Results to date:4-6 (.400)

Donnie B:
Results this week: 3-2
Results to date:7-13 (.350)

The Senator:
Results this week: 0-2
Results to date:0-2 (Why only pick 2 games mystery The Senator? And why make up your own lines? Come on now)

Matt:
Results this week: 3-2
Results to date: 9-14 (.360)

Better than it's been the last two weeks, we are slowly moving the right direction. Tune in next time, same bat time (tomorrow around 3ish prob) same bat channel (umm..this one).

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm very happy to be on the board, but am sad to see that Don's "pick the opposite of Kristin" method still worked better. Oops.