Thursday, October 15, 2009

Week 7 College Football Picks

Sorry I didn't get a results post up this week. It's a combo of lawyering, bloodlust for Southern Cal consuming me, and not being good at blogging. My bad, the scoreboard will be updated shortly so you can see where you stand. You may also note that there will be a bit of a shakeup. I'm pushing scores that only have 2 weeks or less worth of picks to the bottom, cause it throws things off, just roll with it. If you are one of those people, come back, make picks, and you will be returned to where your win % dictates. After a largely pedestrian slate last week, this week is an absolutely stacked slate, w/ plenty of heated rivalry fun. Let's do the damn thing:

Arkansas @ #1 Florida (-24.5)
Pick: Arkansas +24.5
I think we all agree that Florida is the better team here: consensus #1, the Messiah Rhinoceros at QB, quarkbacks running 4.0s everywhere, Brandon Spikes ready to murder at any point, the whole 9. But Arkansas brings one of the top offenses in the country to Gainsville this weekend. Ryan Mallet, along with being able to throw a full keg through the goalposts from the 50 on one knee (just ask any Michigan fan), has shown that he has a full handle on the offense, coming in just under 1500yds on the year with a 13:3 TD to pick ratio. Not too shabby. Granted, Florida has only given up 32 points all year, but I think Arkansas will put some points up and at least keep this within 3 TDs.

#4 Virginia Tech(-3) @ #19 Georgia Tech
Pick: GT +3
This is one of my big upset picks for the week (I bet you can't guess the other one w/o scrolling down). VT is wayyyy to high up at #4 IMO. They should've lost to Nebraska, and while they did beat Miami convincingly, I think the conditions did more to shut down Jacory Harris than the Hokies did. I'm still not convinced Tyrod Taylor is any good, and Beamerball may work against regular offenses, but what about the sexy triple option? I don't think so. Plus we all know that isn't really a graft on Beamer, it's an allergic reaction, from a sting, from BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! (meme via EDSBS).

#22 South Carolina @ #2 Alabama (-17)
Pick: Bama -17
I probably would've taken Bama up to 27. Alabama in my mind SHOULD be the #1 team in all the land. They have played and killed some solid teams this year, have a ridiculously good D, and are also putting up points in bunches. The Gamecocks jaunt in the top 25 comes to an end this week, Nick Saban; Roll Tide.

#20 Oklahoma "@" #3 Texas (-3.5) (Neutral site game, Cotton Bowl, Dallas)
Pick: Texas -3.5
Oh what this game could have been if Sam Bradford didn't get broken like bigamy laws by the Mormons. While it's not the battle of unbeatens, Heisman frontrunner on the line battle we all thought it would be in the preseason, don't let OU's 2 losses make you think this isn't a huge game. The anger of UT fans about OU getting the Big XII Title and Nat'l Title shot, even after losing to the Horns by 10, has yet to subside. Throw in some good old fashioned Hatfield-McCoy style hate, a returning Bradford, and a decimated UT RB core, and you've got yourself a ballgame kids. I think the Horns have too much talent on O for the Sooners to keep up, mainly behind Sooner-killer Jordan Shipley. As an added bonus for those without a dog in the fight, this being the early game, here's a drinking game to catch you up with those at the State Fair:
  • Drink every time it's mentioned Shipley and McCoy are roomates/BFFs
  • Drink every time it's mentioned that Shipley and McCoy's dad's were roomates/teammates at Abilene Christian
  • Drink every time you see a sign that says 45-35
  • Drink every time they bring up how much Bradford and McCoy respect/admire each other
  • Drink for every Heisman mention
  • Divide in 2, half the people drink every time you hear Boomer Sooner, half drink twice every time you hear Texas Fight(have to make up the difference in times, just trust me, OU knows maybe 2 songs)
  • Drink every time Tebow gets inexplicably brought up (o/u is 6.5)
This should help you get caught up and ready to go for the rest of the day.

#6USC (-10) @ #25 Notre Dame
Pick: ND +10
It has to be done this year. This is the best shot ND has had since 05 to beat the hated Trojans. Southern Cal is bringing true frosh Matt Barkley as their starting QB. Barkley has been a servicable QB, mostly protected by a strong run game and a conservative play call(to date: 58.9 completion %, 958 yds, 3TD, 2INT). The main story of this game will be the ND offense, primarily the 8th ranked passing attack under Jimmy Clausen, against the absurdly good D of USC this year, who has only allowed 43 points in their 5 games so far. We've all seen the dominant stats of the last two years. ND hasn't even scored a TD on the Trojans since the 06 matchup. A lot of the problem has been the Irish O-line, which left a young Clausen open to lots of punishment from whatever world class LB USC was touting that year. While SC lost a lot of talent on D this year, Taylor Mays, who may be the best D player in the country, has led an absurdly talented unit this year. This is a game of huge importance. USC needs a big win here to keep themselves in the title conversation on the weekend we will see the first BCS standings. What it means for Notre Dame though is so much more. The program is coming off 2 of the worst seasons in a long and storied history. It's been 7 years since the Irish have gotten a W over the Trojans (technically...), and the last 2 efforts have been inexcusably pathetic. Charlie Weis was given another shot, even tho many were ready to go pitchfork/torch mob after last year's SC game. If ND wants to show it still belongs in the minds of football, they have to show up this weekend and play their best game possible. Weis knows how important this game is, anywhere from 12 to 16 four and five star recruits will be guests of the Irish this weekend. A win here will likely lead to another top 5 recruiting class, and puts ND in the drivers seat for a BCS bid. But a loss...especially a blowout...well, I wont even talk about what it will mean, because it wont be pretty. Reports keep coming out that the ND players have more confidence in this game than any Weis team has ever had going into this game. They've got the offensive firepower to score at will, and see a true frosh lined up on the other side at the most important position on the field. Everything is lining up to give the Irish their best shot at a win. There's no such thing as a moral victory, BEAT SC!!


So there you have it kids, a full slate with some great matchups, do your dirty work in the comments. FUSC, never forget

7 comments:

Matt Rigney said...

1. I agree. Arkansas +24.5. I'm taking this mainly because they beat us, so I want them to have a good showing against the Second Coming.

2. Va Tech -3 please.

3. Nick Saban Roll Tide - 17.

4. OU + 3.5 and national championship spoiling win.

5. ND + 10. Why do I keep doing this?

Unknown said...

1. Arkansas

2. Ga Tech (being a homer for my pops)

3. Bama

4. Texas

5. ND (Eddie said we wouldn't be friends anymore if I didn't pick this way, and I love the Irish, so this was easy)

David Lawrence said...

1. Arkansas +24.5. Fuck Tebow, I hope Mallet throws a keg at him.

2. Va. Tech -3. I can't figure out Georgia Tech, but I do know that Virginia Tech is an awfully good football team this year.

3. SCAR +17. I definitely like Bama in this game, but with the way these SEC teams score (or don't score), I don't see Bama winning by more than 2 TDs.

4. OU +3.5. I feel like this is a trap game, mainly b/c OU has lost 2 games by an average of, oh, 1 point. I originally chose Texas, but then I talked myself out of it. I would feel a lot better picking OU to cover if the line was 7, but I guess Vegas gets to make the rules.

5. ND +10. If this line was ND -10 I would still take it. No, I don't think we will actually beat them by 10 points, but I do believe...

Ryan said...

Don't have much time to do comments for each game because I'm about to head to view the Fall of Troy personally:

1) Florida to cover

2) Va Tech to cover

3) The USC I don't hate and the points

4) UT to cover

5) ND & the points, upset special, FUSC

Donnie B said...

1) Akansas - That's a big spread.
2) Va Tech - I think they win, so I might as well say they win by at least 3.
3) Alabama - This teams looks really good.
4) BOOMER FUCKING SOONER. That's all I have to say about that...win or loose.
5) USC - ND has burned me too many times this season.

Unknown said...

Sadly, just like Eddie... means I'm headed for a 2-3 weekend, I fear.

1. Arkansas
2. GTech
3. Roll Tide
4. Texas
5. ND

Donnie B said...

Do we all get 5-0 records this week since we didn't get to make any picks?