Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week 5 College Football picks

Ok kids, we've all in the last 2 weeks paid our proper tribute to the mighty Gamblor. Our abhorrent prediction streak comes to an end....now. Game on!

#4 LSU @ #18 Georgia (-3)
Pick: LSU +3
There are some bizarre lines out there this week. There is no doubting that LSU barely survived against Miss St last weekend. UGA had a nice win over ASU, mainly thanks to all-world freak WR AJ Green. He catches, he runs, he blocks field goals...the kid does everything. HOWEVAHHHHH, I just don't trust UGA. They've had too many injuries and too many close calls this year. Any team has to be concerned when they go to play between the hedges, but I'm thinking cute lil UGA (seriously, watch a Georgia game, guarantee everytime they show the Georgia mascot at least 3 girls in your earshot will go awwwwwwwww) is Tiger Bait this on Saturday.

#7 USC (-5) @ #24 Cal
Pick: Cal +5
Cal looked God awful last weekend. I mean, Oregon just absolutely curbstomped the Bears. This is part of the reason I'm taking Cal this weekend. Tedford always has him team looking like a chic pick for the title before losing a Pac 10 game in demoralizing fashion. Typically the Trojans are the man at Cal's annual guillotine lever, but the Ducks beat them to the punch. I think that Cal bounces back from a terrible week behind an angry Javhid Best who has an axe to grind after a mere 55 yards last weekend. I also just don't think USC is that good this year. Plus, USC loses a weapon in Stafon Johnson, who is still in the hospital after a terrible weight room accident. My loathing for the Trojans is well known, but I wish nothing but the best for Johnson. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery, because nobody would wish a 275 lb weight being dropped on someone's throat. Good luck man.

#8 Oklahoma (-7.5) @ #17 Miami
Pick: Miami +7.5
Home dogs are always enticing, especially more than a touchdown. If this was in the Orange Bowl I'd feel a lot better, but sadly the U no longer calls it home. Word on the street is that it looks like Sam Bradford will make his return this Saturday against the Canes. HOWEVAH, luckily I didn't finish this post before getting home, as Joe Schad just said the mustachioed Landry Jones will start for the Sooners. This doesn't mean Sam wont play, but he won't start. EDIT: I take that back, it does indeed mean he won't play, Bradford out per @twtstephens(http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/10/bradford-out-for-sooners-game-at-miami.html)Just thought I'd throw it out there. EDIT OVER With QB questionable, I've got a hard time trusting the Sooners with a dinged up QB. Further, I think Jacory Harris is freaking awesome. Sure Miami got clowned by VT last week, but I put as much of that on the team as I do the weather. Expect another bounce back here.

#22 Michigan @ Michigan St (-3)
Pick: LEAD PIPE LOCK O' THE YEAR BET THE FARM: Michigan +3
I don't know what Vegas knows that I don't. Sure, Michigan looked bad against Indiana last week...but Michigan St is a 1 win team while Michigan brings in breakout star Tate Forcier? MSU's D is fairly non-existant while Michigan has shown they have no problem putting up the points. I really don't get this line at all. Clearly this means MSU will win by 10 and you will all lose if you go with me, but I don't care. I know I'm walking into a trap and I'm doing it while whistling Dixie. This looks like a freaking blank check to me.

Washington @ Notre Dame (-13)
Pick: Notre Dame -13
This pick is made completely based on moral obligation. I do not understand this line at all. I'm not saying ND can't cover 13, I'm just trying to figure out why an unranked team missing it's best weapon on offense and ravaged by injuries throughout the offense is favored by a point more than the #4 team in the country (LSU) was when they played UW. Granted, LSU played UW at Washington, this game is at ND Stadium. And I know that ND is going to get higher lines because Vegas knows there are a lot of homerriffic idiots like me that will bet ND regardless of logic. If ND was at full strength this spread would make a lot more sense. But wow, this is high. I think ND can cover it with Armando back and a healthier Jimmy, but I certainly wouldn't advise putting your 1st born on this line.

Go get em in the comments kids, we've got nowhere to go but up.

10 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm just going to pretend that last week's 0-5 didn't happen

1) LSU +3 - I don't get how LSU is considered a dog to be honest. I feel they are a much better team than Georgia.

2) Cal +5 - I still think USC is nothing special at all this season and Cal needs a bounce back week and this a great day to do it. Plus USC lost a weapon and they don't strike me as a "win one for the Gipper team" (I still have that awful "Lean on Me" video in my head).

3) OU -7.5 - I don't care if Bradford isn't starting, I still think they can pull out the win and the cover here. Also, after the disaster against VT, I'm not exactly too high on the 'Canes anymore.

4) Michigan +3 - The Forcier and Big Ten refs are with Michigan. Give me the extra cushion on the biggest WTF line of the year.

5) Washington +13 - Seriously Vegas...13?! The only team we lit up this season is Nevada and we've let every other game get far too close for comfort. Locker is a solid QB and remember, this team gave LSU a scare and beat USC. ND will win, but give me a heart attack the whole time. I'm not going to make it double and take the points on this one.

Anonymous said...

1) UGA - I don't trust UGA but I think LSU is just not a good football team this year. They haven't played anybody and their numbers are awful.

2) USC - time for Cal to continue its annual collapse once they run into someone that doesn't suck.

3) The U - I think this one's close so I'll take the points, especially at home.

4) Michigan - This line makes no sense, lots of points in this one though.

5) ND - From now on I'm going with the opposite of what I think I should do with ND games. Logically, I want UW and the points so I'll take ND.

NDEddieMac said...

Kristin via text headin to ACL:
UGA -3
Cal +5
Miami +7.5
Michigan +3
Washington +13

Unknown said...

I could say that I was making wise, educated prognostications, but that'd be total bullshit. Logic is out the window, so bring it on.

1. Georgia to cover. This is some fucked up shit. All I've got.

2. USC covers. Potentially by a lot. They're playing with emotion, they're fired up, and Javhid isn't the Beast we all thought he was. Also, I would wish a 275 lb weight fall on the throat of Mike Leech and/or Bob Stoops. But certainly no players, that'd be awful. Okay, maybe Jason White before he missed the Dr. Pepper halftime challenge at RRSO three years ago. But he's paid his dues at the hands of merciless UT fans.

3. Miami. But wow. They fucked me last week big time in Vegas. And OU is still really good without Bradford. But dogs at home, gotta take the points.

4. Michigan State. This is just too fucking weird to ignore. The trap is about to slam the fuck shut on Eddie Mac.

5. Washington may even win, but they'll almost certainly cover. Too many points for a hobbled team to cover.

TB said...

wow I might need to just pick this week's lines out of a hat considering my 1-9 start, but oh well.

give me

LSU
Cal
Miami
UMich
Washington

Unknown said...

Alright, let's shake off last week

LSU +3 - have to go with my allegiances here, but if I were actually betting with noone watching, I might take UGA to cover. We haven't looked very good yet this season, but we have the talent to do it.

USC -5
OU -7.5
Mich +3
Wash +13

Donnie B said...

1) LSU
2) USC
3) Oklahoma
4) Michigan State
5) ND

I'm going with the "pick the opposite of Kristin method."

the Senator said...

Cal +3...USC's defense is still good. I think points scored total out at <=30.

OU +3...if Oklahoma rushes for >=200, they win. But they are playing in Miami. Toss up.

Jameson @ Stiegel. Jameson -38. Irish Whiskey always trumps Austrian beer.

Matt Rigney said...

1. Newberries - 3.
2. USC - 5
3. Miami + the points
4. WTF?? Michigan + points and will win.
5. Wash + 13

David Lawrence said...

i am getting these picks in late, but here goes:

Georgia -3
USC -5
Miami +7.5
I missed the MSU-UM game
ND...i've got to pick us, even though I don't think we will cover