So admittedly the last 2 weeks haven't exactly been awesome. I'm well below my goal of .600 on the year, currently sitting with a losing record. That's just not acceptable. In the immortal words of the recently dominant Floyd Mayweather "Step ya game up!" So, this week, we quit sucking and put on dominant performances. Buckle up kids, game on:
#6 California (-6) @ Oregon
Pick: Cal -6
Anytime a team has to go to Autzen to play the fashion conscious Ducks, it will give them pause. Oregon has one of the best home field advantages in all the land. However, having lost their best player to a sucker punch induced suspension, the product on the field isn't what it has been in past years. The other problem: Javhid Best. Best is one of the, if not the top RB's in the country this year. This seems to be a sexy upset pick this week, but I'm not buying. Oregon doesn't have to the personnel to slow down, or keep up with Best's scoring ability. I'm giving this one to Cal.
#9 Miami (-3) @ #11 Virginia Tech
Pick: The U -3
This is probably the most intriguing game on the slate this week. VT is coming off a huge comeback win against Nebraska, while Miami's coming off a dominant performance over Georgia Tech. You've got two exciting, yet question riddled QB's in Tyrod Taylor and Jacory Harris. Just based on this year, I'd give the edge to Jacory in this battle. His performance against FSU was flat out amazing. While Taylor made the needed plays at the end against Nebraska, I think Miami has the edge at the most important spot. I'd feel a lot better if this game was in Miami trick, but I dont think the Hokies pull it out 2 weeks in a row.
Texas Tech @ #17 Houston (even $)
Pick: Houston win
Tech put up a pretty solid performance against the Horns. Taylor Potts showed he can fill the "Nameless Yard Compiling QB X" role for Tech this year, throwing wide open quick slants like his life depended on it. Howevahhhh, Houston has already beat one high powered offense from the Big XII this year in Okie St, and the Cowboys have a better D than the Raiders. I dont know how far the Cougars can go, but I think they add another Big XII notch to their belt this weekend.
#24 Washington @ Stanford (-7)
Pick: Washington +7
Are my eyes deceiving me? UW is actually ranked? A year removed from a winless season at the hands of Radio? So this is what happens when you get a coach that spends more time on the football field than the putting green. Stanford has a talented squad this year, and Harbaugh is a great coach. But the Trees lost to Wake Forest by 7. Sure, Wake is decent, but the Huskies beat USC last week and only lost to LSU by 8. LSU and USC are both considerably better than the Demon Deacons. Jake Locker is the real deal, and I'll gladly take the 7 points. Vegas must be expecting a let down after the big win. I'm sure I should to, but I'm dumb, gimme UW.
Notre Dame (-7) @ Purdue
Pick: ND -7
Maybe I'm being a homer, but I was stunned that this line was only 7. Granted, Purdue played Oregon tough, but that is a broken Ducks team as we discussed earlier. No doubt that the Boilers can put up points, butcoming off a loss to N. Illinois (Garret Wolfe isn't there anymore kids) and letting the mighty Rockets of Toledo drop 31 on you? These don't exactly instill fear in the hearts of opponents. There are 2 main issues for the Irish. 1) How healthy is Jimmy coming off of "Turf Toe" or whatever the actual foot injury is? From all accounts, Clausen will be good to go on Saturday, anything else is merely smoke screen. Then we've got 2) the Cannonless Irish Offense. For starters, expect the running game to be utilized more than it has been in the past. Purdue let N.Ill. get 280 yards on the ground last week...280!! AA and Hughes should have more chances this week to establish a presence. The other thing to remember is that while Floyd is arguably ND's top player, the rest of the WR corps is not horrible. Golden Tate is over 300 yards on the season with over 15 YPC. The Irish are deep at receiver with Duval Kamara, Robbie Parris, and Deion Walker, reigning TE of the week Kyle Rudolph, and highly touted freshman receiver Shaq Evans ready to step up and contribute. Losing Floyd is a dagger, no doubt, but he wasn't the only arrow in ND's ball catching quiver.
Make your picks in the comments, let's see if we can't up our records shall we?
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
1. Cal - 6. If I could pick any team to root for because I went to that school it'd be Cal. How can a hippie school have an OK football team?
2. VT + 3. I think the home field will come through.
3. Tech. Although I hate to pick them twice in a row, I cannot fathom the 40-year-old single women beating two Big 12 teams in one year.
4. I'll also take UW + 7. I like them.
5. ND - 7. Picking ND to cover gives me ulcers, but what the hell?
4.
Johnny Chan is broke apparently, here's what he said:
"blogspot is refusing to let me post a comment so I'm doing it here...same picks as you which I know is no fun but have to do it this week. 1) Cal, 2) The U, 3) Houston 4) UW (really wanted to take Stanford in this game but not as a favorite) 5) ND"
Eddie Mac for MBP, Most Ballinist Player
Geez, a very Ian Kinsler-like week for me. Shooting for at least Ted Williams this week. Don't wanna peak too early.
Cal -6
The U -3
TT - I really don't know what to think about this game. I'd like to take U of H but I really know nothing about em. Plus, I'd like to think Tech is a little better than they're getting credit for just so the Horns' weak performance looks better, but I admittedly don't think that was the case.
UW +7
ND -7,
AH HA, we almost have identical picks this week Eddie.
1) Cal - I love their rushing attack to take out the Ducks.
2) Miami - I can't seem winning this game by less than 3 and I think they will win it. VT doesn't really impress me at all.
3) Texas Tech - Houston had a couple of nice games, but it is time to fall down to earth again. Plus, Tech put up a better fight against Texas than I thought they would.
4) Washington - My eyes were deceiving me with the fact Standford is favored. Really? Washington gives LSU hell, beast USC, and Standford is the favorite? This is like the Nebraska line last week, a friggin' gift! I'd take them outright, but I'll be happy to take the points as well!
5) ND - The rebound has to happen sometime and it'll be at Purdont's expense. ND to cover easily.
I'll take....
Cal -6
VTech +3
TTech ftw
ND -7
Wash+7
You know this Kearney
Via Remote from Vegas, Judson's picks:
Cal -6
Miami -3
Tech
Stanford -7
ND -7
My picks:
1) Cal. - I hate Oregon. I will always pick against them. Damn cheaters.
2) Miami - Va. Tech should have lost last week, but had a miracle. That probably won't happen twice in a row.
3) Tech. - I'm still not sure Houston is all that great. Okie St. are notorious underachievers. I don't put much stock in that win. I may be wrong. If they beat Tech I'll be much more impressed with Houston at that point.
4) Washington. I think Washington will win the national championship.
5) ND. I actually think Purdue will cover, but since everyone else on here picked ND, I don't want to be wrong and fall farther behind. So I'm being a sheep.
1. Cal to cover. I am going to stop being cute with my picks.
2. Nevermind, I lied. i will take va. tech 3+...not sure why, but I've got a feeling...that tonight's gonna be a good night...
3. Houston. Damn, these picks are a lot tougher than previous weeks. I think Tech showed last weekend they are a lot better than people thought they were, but i still think Houston wins here
4. Washington +7. I want them to get as big of a head as possible before we crush their dreams next weekend. Which brings me to...
5. ND to cover. I'm thinking 49-21...sweetheart
Here's to hoping I can get on the board this week and stop feeling so demoralized by my apparent lack of college football smarts...
1. Cal
2. Miami
3. Tech
4. UW
5. ND. Go Irish.
Post a Comment