Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Week 1 Recap

Well College Football is back boys and girls. There was some great action in week 1, we laughed, we cried, we saw why you get money/get paid when you have the chance. Miami and FSU reminded us why we loved their matchups in the 90's, and for the most part, the big boys took care of business. But how did we do?

#16 Oregon @ #14 Boise St.(-4)
Pick: Oregon +4
Result: 19-8 Boise: L
Oregon could not have looked worse in this game. An abysmal offensive showing and they lose their best player in LaGarrete Blount for the year because he felt like taking a shot at a Boise player after the game. Why did he do it? We still don't know. I've read everything from the guy was talking trash, to he called Blount the N-word. Either way, I hope that punch was worth it because it was the last thing he will do as a college player. It also might cost him Millions of dollars in the draft next year...Oops.

#20 BYU @ #3 Oklahoma (-22)
Pick: BYU +22
Result: 14-13 BYU: W
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where your dreams are crushed in just a week. (Enjoy having that song in your head for the next 20 minutes). BYU played a hell of a ballgame, but their best play was knocking out the defending Heisman winner, Sam Bradford. Depending on the story you read, Bradford could be out anywhere from 2 weeks to the end of the year. Not only that, but Jermaine Gresham, their all world TE, who missed the game because of a knee injury, has decided to shut it down. With one loss already and his starting QB on the shelf for who knows how long, it's hard to blame Gresham for looking out for his future here. So now the Mormons push themselves into the top 10 this week (#9) with a huge road upset, and Oklahoma fans are busy canceling their hotel reservations in Pasadena. Rough, rough week Sooners.

#5 Alabama (-6.5) @ #7 VT
Pick: VT +6.5
Result: 34-24 Bama: L
Well, I had this game wrong in about every way shape or form. Honestly I didn't think more than 14 points would be scored the entire game. While Beamerball was still alive with a big KR for TD, Bama, mainly behind RB Mark Ingram's 150 yards, was too much for the Hokies in this one. Most telling stat of this game was total yards: Bama-498 VT-155. Looks like the Dark Lord Saban still has a D to be feared. Ugly week for the ACC to start.

#13 Georgia @ #9 Oklahoma St. (-5.5)
Pick: OSU -5.5
Result: 24-10 OSU: W
So I got lucky here. Within about an hour of posting my picks, I saw stories on 2 starters for OSU being out, as well as rumors that QB Zac Robinson could also miss the game. Ends up, he did play, and found his freak of a WR Dez Bryant twice in paydirt. Tough loss for Georgia is not only did they lose, but for the 2nd year in a row lose their stud LT Trinton Sturdivant to a knee tear. Last year Sturdivant got hurt before the year started, and many people believed his absence was a key factor in the disappointing year for the Dawgs. It will be interesting to see how Richt handles the loss for a 2nd year. The good news (relative good that is) is that with several injuries last year, UGA has a ton of experienced OL backups, so hopefully they can find some help there.

Nevada @ #23 Notre Dame (-14.5)
Pick: ND -14.5
Result: 35-0 ND: W
It's about time that ND came out and dominated a lowly opponent. This was a fun game kids. I really wish I could find the video of Mark May and Lou Holtz picking this game cause it gave me one of my favorite quotes of the year. To paraphrase: MM "How can you beat the Pistol offense?" Lou *bangs table* "With a Cannon!" After his 4 catch, 189 yard!!, 3 TD performance, I'm thinking that Michael Floyd should be known from now on as "The Cannon." Long time readers know of my love affair with Michael Floyd, and oh Lordy did he validate it on Saturday. For those of you who missed his straight up video game performance, enjoy:

So nasty. The last TD (at about 1:55 in the vid) was one of the more ridiculous plays I've witnessed live. Going up to get that ball was good enough, but to land, shake the defender off, and then house it? Dude's a freak.

Record this week/to date:
3-2

Not a great start, but above .500 is always good. Now, how about the rest of you:
Matt: 4-1
Johnny Chan: 3-2 (turncoat)
Ryan: 3-2
David L: 5-0 (barely got his pick change in, but it was valid, no more of that tho kids)
Judson: 4-1
Steven:3-2
Marc: 0-1
Kristin:0-1

Not a bad start. Only 2 people under .500, and they only picked 1 game. If you look in the sidebar, you should see a scoreboard which will keep a running tally throughout the year. Don't worry if you missed week 1. Feel free to join in starting this week. Expect the picks sometime tomorrow. Gotta love having college football back.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm all for nicknaming Floyd "The Cannon" -- although with this past week's performance he was more like a freakin' missile.

Donnie B said...

I don't know who this "Judson" guy is who predicted injuries in the OU vs. BYU game...but I don't like him. I want to investigate for any potential involvment on his part. I've got lots of aggression to take out on someone and I think he just volunteered.