So after a long grueling season we've finally come to the playoffs. Thanks to league pass I've watched more basketball this year than I ever have and to tell you the truth, could not be more excited about this years playoffs. There are going to be some great battles on the road to the O'Brien trophy and I think fans everywhere are in for some treats.
Back at the beginning of the year I made some predictions here. My predicted order for the Western Conference was 1: LA 2:NO 3:HOU 4:SA 5:UTAH 6:PHX 7: POR 8: DEN. I said in that post that I thought either PHX or DAL would miss out on the playoffs this year, both were on the decline and I gave the nod to the Suns based on the Nash Amare combo. Well, Amare went down and the Suns are enjoying their vacations already. Ends up I was pretty far off, the real order being: 1: LA, 2: Den, 3: SA, 4:POR, 5: HOU, 6: Dallas, 7: NO, 8: Utah. But if you've read this blog for any amount of time you know that by now I'm VERY used to my predictions falling through, so let's get to the 1st round matchups shall we?
Western Conference round 1:
#1 Los Angeles Lakers (65-17) vs #8 Utah Jazz (48-34)
Prediction: Lakers in 4
This series will not be close. I mean it will be an absolute curb stomp. Even Jerry Sloan doesn't give his team a chance to win. With all of the great ball on, this is one series you can feel ok with just catching in the highlights just to see what Kobe does to take over.
#2 Denver Nuggets (54-28) vs #7 New Orleans Hornets (49-33)
Prediction: Hornets in 7
This series is worth watching just for the battle between Chris Paul and Deron Williams. You have the undisputed best PG in the league in Paul going against a fantastic player in Deron who I'd say is the 3rd best PG in the league (many argue 2, they are wrong, Tony has the rings, the experience, and the stats to back it, in a few years we'll talk). The Hornets had some problems coming down the stretch with Tyson Chandler and Peja Stojakovic banged up. Chandler came back at the end and needs to be at full strength to bang w/ K Mart down low for the Hornets to have a chance. Yes the Nuggets have Melo and a walking dagger in Chauncey Billups, but I think in one of the best series in the first round, the Hornets will pull off the upset.
#3 San Antonio Spurs (54-28) vs #6 Dallas Mavericks (50-32)
Prediction: Spurs in 6
Obviously I can't be objective here. The Spurs and Mavs split the season series this year and know each other as well as 2 teams can in the NBA. These teams have given us some fantastic series in the last few years, the last time being 06 when Manu Ginobili broke my heart as I watched him absurdly foul Dirk at the AT&T Center for the and 1 that ended the Spurs season. Many people were ready to write the Spurs off once Manu went down. I think this was a poor decision, Manu only played in about half the games this year and really never contributed a ton. The most important matchup here wont be Tim vs Dirk, the turning point is going to be Tony Parker vs Jason Kidd. Kidd is a terrible defender and Tony has accepted the greater responsibility this year on the scoring end and will torch Kidd. As long as Pop is on the bench the Spurs will have the coaching advantage and have known for weeks that Manu will not be around. Write them off at your own peril, San Antonio isn't letting this run end without a fight.
#4 Portland Trail Blazers (54-28) vs #5 Houston Rockets (53-29)
Prediction: Blazers in 5
I could not have been happier to avoid the Blazers in the first round. Everyone looks at this team and talks about how in a few years they will be title contenders. What I want to know is why aren't more people scared of them now. Brandon Roy is an absolute beast, LaMarcus Aldridge might be my pick for the most underrated player in the game, and Greg Oden has grown during the year into a formidable inside presence. The Rockets on the other hand are without T-Mac(which in the playoffs may not be a bad thing) and Yao has had several injury problems throughout the year. I dont like this matchup for the Rockets and see the Blazers getting by fairly easily.
Eastern Conference:
#1 Cleveland Cavaliers (66-16) vs #8 Detroit Pistons (39-43)
Prediction: Cavs in 4
Again, this will not be pretty. The Pistons are on the down swing and I'd put the over under on Sheed techs at 4 in this series. The only reason it is this low is I don't see this going past 4 games. The Pistons run is doneski kids.
#2 Boston Celtics (62-20) vs #7 Chicago Bulls (41-41)
Prediction: Celts in 6
With the revelation that KG may miss the playoffs, part of me wanted to pick the Bulls in 7 and for my analysis just say ANYTHING IS POSSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEE. HOWEVAH, even w/o KG, the talent disparity between these 2 teams is still pretty large. The Bulls top weapon in rookie PG Derrick Rose is still a rookie. Not only that but Rondo has shon great improvement this year and will make Rose work on both ends. The Bulls cant answer Pierce but will steal a few in Chi-Town.
#3 Orlando Magic (59-23) vs #6 Philadelphia 76ers (41-41)
Prediction: Magic in 5
I've read many looking at this as a possible upset. I just don't see it. Yes the Magic haven't closed incredibly strong, but I just dont like this matchup for Phili. Orlando can hit from deep or pound away w/ Dwight Howard. This one won't be close.
#4 Atlanta Hawks (47-35) vs #5 Miami Heat (43-39)
Prediction: Hawks in 7
Here is the beauty of home court. The Hawks are absolute beasts in the ATL and Joe Johnson is about to show why more people should know his name. The Heat are going to give them a battle tho, you just cant count out Dwayne Wade who has returned with a vengeance this year. This is going to be an incredible series I think.
So there it is. Make your picks, applaud my style, or call me an idiot in the comments. Enjoy the playoffs kids, it's gonna be a blast.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
In my opinion, the only series that we could see a close game will be the Spurs/Mavs and Blazers/Rockets. The rest looks almost predictable but we'll never know what might happen.
The Eastern Conference will be a cracker. The West looks to be heading towards the Lakers. I don't think the Spurs, Nuggets or the rest can see them off.
Overall the 2009 season is expected to be the most exciting ever in recent years and I can't wait for it to began. For me personally as an Albiceleste supporter, things are not looking good but we'll just have to wait and see.
Oh yes! I've also published my own version (not really mine but a friend name Dave from the NBA Round Table) and would like you to give us your view as well .
Post a Comment