- This was one of the most disappointing all star saturday nights in quite awhile. For starters, the Spurs went 0 for 3 in the events they competed in, even if the only one I really cared about of them was Roger Mason in the 3 point contest. Even the defending trio of David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and random WNBA girl I've never heard of couldn't repeat in the lame 3 ball game.
- The 3 point contest itself was downright pathetic. I've never seen so many people miss that many shots from the 1st 2 racks. Were the balls slippy or something? Even Kopono who had absolutely killed it the last 2 years was off. Just a poor showing all around, especially you Rog. 8...really 8? I know you like to wait to hit 3s when there are under 4 seconds left and the game on the line but come on, you let team dime beat you. Congrats Daequan Cook, you were the tallest midget.
- Then there was the slam dunk contest...Why why why so disappointing slam dunk contest. I will say this, the showmanship was fantastic I thought. Dwight had the Superman thing going, including the phone booth which was funny. Bringing in and subsequently dunking on the 12 footer was also awesome...the only problem is he made it look too easy. When he did that dunk, I dont think people realized how ridiculous what he did was, and it looked so easy for him it lost something.
- Nate Rob also gets mad props for his chicanery. Everything about the whole "Krypto-Nate was pretty cool. The St Patty's jersey along w/ the kicks and even the green ball...well played lil buddy. Jumping over Dwight was pretty cool, yah he may have pushed off over his shoulder, but its still a dude my height jumping over a what...6'11 Dwight? Very nice
- After giving him props tho, using your teammate as a stepstool? How is that a cool dunk??? That's how people like me would try to dunk. You definitely dont pull that out in a the NBA dunk contest.
- Probably the 2 most important things that happened were on the sideline. 1st off I present this with no comment:
- 2nd, Probably the biggest news of the night was the announcement by LeBron James that next year he would finally be entering the Dunk Contest. Is it fitting that next year's spectacle will take place in the gargantuan new Dallas football stadium...and right before LBJ hits the free agent market? I'm sure neither of those had anything to do with James' decision to finally give the fans what we wanted.
- Switching gears: The Braves got clowned again. After a week of reports that Atlanta was finally gonna make a deal, and then had a deal in place w/ Ken Griffey Jr, the Kid ended up going back to Seattle. Had it not been the 2nd time this offseason the Braves lost a player they allegedly had locked up (Furcal), it wouldn't be as frustrating. Granted Griffey was at best going to platoon in LF w/ Matt Diaz, but it just shows Frank Wren missing an opportunity one more time.
- The A-Rod fall out has been pretty predictable. His last presser had some interesting info, the fact that he got Primobolan(or Boli, Bole, whatever you wanna call it) at a drug store in the DR which his cousin then injected him with (cue easy predictable A-Rod injection joke here) it was new. This is obviously not your flak seed oil rubbed on the body or something in a dietary supplement from GNC. Sure he may have been a "stupid, naive kid" but odds are you cant really expect anyone to believe he didnt know that if you are getting an injection of something like that, it probably wont be legal.
- The jump from 36.something to 52.something in HRs over the years he was in Seattle to Texas is big, and definitely bad for steroid purposes. BUT, it is also very important to look at the fact that he was going to one of the best hitters ballparks in the game, I'd argue best in the AL. Not really playing devils advocate, just a fact that needs to be noted i feel like.
- The NFL combine is this weekend. While sadly I dont have the NFL Network, it's always amusing to see who shoots up draft boards Vernon Davis style for just being workout freaks of nature (Brian Orakpo will be no lower than 7 after what he does this weekend, book it) and to see who has been just chillin this offseason and shows up out of shape and sloooow ala Lendale, Troy Smith, or of course Mo Clarett.
- Also, tons of players recently got cut to avoid cap trouble. The most notable are the oft-injured, fantasty murdering but sometimes good duo of Deuce McAllister and Fred Taylor. The one I'm most concerned w/ is the Broncos releasing Dre Bly. WHY?!?!??! Champ isn't getting any younger and coming off a year of injuries, why cut a great corner like Bly?
- The NBA trade deadline just passed about an hour ago. There were a few deals, nothing really all that big. With all the bruhaha about Shaq and Amare and Vince and T-Mac, the biggest name to move was either Brad Miller or Larry Hughes. How anti-climactic you are trade deadline.
- The worst, and most bizarre part of all of the NBA deals was the Tyson Chandler to the Thunder deal. The Hornets inexplicably decided to trade away there only inside threat for Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith. I think the only notable thing Joe Smith ever did was get illegally traded and costing the T-Wolves 1st rounds picks for what...5 years? The Thunder then inexplicably fail him on the physical for the toe injury that kept him out of the olympics...even tho he's been playing all year. So sadly Chandler goes right back to NO...so much for that idea.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Random Sports thoughts 2/19 version
With as little sports actually in play that I really care about it is amazing the clusterf- the last few weeks have had. I had a few specific posts on 1 thing because I usually try to make posts somewhat organized. Well today kids, were just gonna say f that noise and go for the gusto. Cliche but beloved bullet point form...engage:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
For a second there I thought you were going to say All-Star Saturday was so disappointing because I death cupped you (even though your hand was over the cup) in our rubber match.... OK I'll stop ruining your blog now.
The NBA shouldn't be allowed to have an all-star game. just a skills competition. the game itself is awful. worse than the pro bowl, which is saying something.
Post a Comment